23 Jan Darfield Water Supply Upgrade
LOCATION Darfield, Canterbury • PRINCIPAL Selwyn District Council • PROJECT DATES September 2013 to March 2014
Design, Construction and Commissioning of a new 1mL reinforced concrete Water Reservoir including a 7m x 5m reinforced Concrete Pumphouse. Works also included:
- Installation of a 180m BGL bore and booster pumps within the new Pump House.
- Installation of PVC-U potable water pipelines and associated flow meters, fittings, hydrants and valves.
- Electrical works including transformer upgrade, Supply and installation of a new main switchboard and motor control centre, VFDs, cabling, SCADA, HMI and associated works.
- Site works including excavation, subgrade proving & testing, backfilling and final landscaping.
- Reservoir disinfection and all Mechanical, Electrical testing and commissioning.
- All sealant installation, final construction, cleaning and commissioning works involving working inside the reservoir was carried out with Confined Space trained and qualified staff under a site specific Confined Space Safety Work Plan including Hazard ID, Task Analysis and Emergency Evacuation Plan.
Programme: The project had a very tight programme of 26 weeks from the date of award from which the following was required; a value engineering alternative design, obtain an amendment to the original Building Consent, and complete the construction and commissioning of a complex project. CSL completed the works 5 days ahead of programme.
The existing Water Supply Headworks remained operating during the construction and commissioning of the new upgrade works. This required extensive planning for shutdowns, often carried out after hours during low peak demand periods in order to minimise any disruption to the existing water supply to the town of Darfield.
Budget: CSL’s alternative reservoir design provided the client with a $175,000 savings on their original tender design and provided better surety of completion on time.
Health & Safety: The site specific Health and Safety Management Plan was implemented and observed in accordance with the company’s secondary level requirements for ACC WSMP. Tasks involving working inside the reservoir were carried out with Confined Space trained and qualified staff under a site specific Confined Space Safety Work Plan including Hazard ID, Task Analysis and Emergency Evacuation Plan. There were no H&S issues or incidents involving Confined Space work. There were zero LTIs or serious incidents incurred on the project overall.
Environmental: A specific Sediment Control and Environmental Management Plan was prepared to meet the requirements of the resource consent and no breaches of the implemented controls were reported.
Public Relations & Cooperative team approach: The Project required a collaborative approach from all parties to ensure that the works were completed with the minimum interruption of water supply to the town of Darfield and minimal effects to neighbouring properties. A positive outcome was achieved without any adverse reports.
Management/Administration: All aspects of the management requirements of the contract, including site meetings, inspections and reporting requirements were met.